Volume 10, Number 1 January/February 2014 MICA (P) 008/10/2013 ISBN 1793 -0561
From the editor
- 2014: What will the year of the horse bring?
- EMS/AHPND updates and information on primers and protocols for detection
- Biofloc and shrimp diseases
Workshop in Vietnam discusses the use of biofloc technology in shrimp ponds in preventing EMS
- Innovative ideas in shrimp farming
Poh Yong Thong presents new ideas developed by industry
- Tilapia production using biofloc technology (BFT)
Yoram Avnimelech shows how the recycling of feed lowers production costs
Aquafeeds in Asia
- Selective growth in 2013
Good demand for fish and shrimp feeds but selective for the latter. By Zuridah Merican.
- An expanded aquafeed R&D centre
This will fine tune formulations for several species for Thailuxe Feeds in Thailand
- Central R&D, local delivery for aquaculture
An interview with CEO Erik Visser of Nutriad
- Marine shrimp in Asia in 2013
Total production pulled down by EMS in Thailand while Indonesia and India gain volumes
- The vannamei makes a splash in the Philippines
The shrimp is changing the industry. By Rafael D. Guerrero III
- Attractability of probiotic-coated shrimp feed
Phuthongphan Rattayaporn, Srianek Patipon, Roeland Wouters, Geert Rombaut and Olivier Decamp say that palatability was better.
- New developments in shrimp and fish feed extrusion
Mian N. Riaz discusses innovations that manufacturers can provide in the short and long term.
- Prevalence of mycotoxins in some major aquafeed ingredients
In this 2014 update, Pedro Encarnacao, Goncalo Santos and Karin Naehrer say even at low concentration levels, there are effects on growth and health status of fish.
- 2013 DSM Aquaculture Conference Asia Pacific
Topics of discussion included the fish meal situation, aqua nutrition updates and how to handle an industry confronted with disease outbreaks.
- Selling into China
A larger China Fisheries & Seafood Expo and Aquaculture China 2013
- Taking rotifer culture to the next level
- New innovations in phytogenics
- World Aquaculture 2014/ Indo Aqua 2014, Jakarta