Volume 15, Number 4 July/August 2019 MCI (P) 008/10/2018 ISBN 1793 -0561
From the editor
- Responsible and Sustainable Aquaculture: No longer a luxury but a necessity
- Aquaculture for health, wealth and happiness
- Ready-to-use live Artemia nauplii supply in India
Vannamei shrimp hatcheries along the east coast benefit from a daily supply. By Zuridah Merican
- Inhibition of Vibrio biofilm formation by ginger extract
Supplementation with ginger extract protects shrimp against AHPND. By Chumporn Soowannayan, Sasithorn Boonmee, Sukanya Puckcharoen, Pattanan Yatip, Patoomratana Tuchinda, Bamroong Munyoo and Wing-Keong Ng
- Update on Asian tilapia production in 2018/2019
Production rising but with stagnant international demand, producers seek local markets
- β-glucans: a natural solution to improving the immune status and survival of fish
A measure of the effectiveness is the ratio between β-glucans and MOS, say Liliana Borges and Melina Bonato
Responsible & Sustainable Aquaculture
- Responsible and sustainable aquaculture
Anton Immink, Dave Little, Dominique Gautier and Manish Kumar discuss aspects of aquaculture where industry and regulators need to deliver on sustainability in order to attract investments.
- Some considerations on the sustainability of low fish meal aquafeed
Plant meals can effectively replace fish meal when carefully processed to maintain optimal nutritional value. Thomas Wilson
- Fishmeal substitution with plant ingredients in shrimp feeds: A sustainability conundrum?
Wesley Malcorps and Björn Kok say that a shift from fishmeal to plant ingredients should not be taken for granted as a sustainable solution.
- Vision for a more sustainable aquaculture
A sustainability story as algal oil containing EPA and DHA reaches the markets. By Zuridah Merican
- UV Disinfection in Aquaculture
The increasing demand for fish is changing farming methods, says Duncan Ockendon
- Natural free amino acids influence shrimp behaviour and feed attractiveness
Understanding how shrimp behave with feeds enriched with natural free amino acids. By Guillaume Le Reste, Pierrick Kersante, Joël Duperray, Luxsanawadee Soonngam and Orapint Jintasataporn
- Validating the efficacy of a phytobiotic-based feed additive against white faeces syndrome
Efficacy of preventive strategies was tested in shrimp farms in Malaysia, Indonesia and India. By Waldo G. Nuez-Ortín and Maria Mercè Isern-Subich
- Aquaculture versus agriculture & meat production - A paradox
From myth to reality: Sustainable growth of aquaculture requires focused standardised research studies. By Kabir Chowdhury
- Insect protein takes flight in Asia
Insect meal production is poised to rise as a major aquafeed ingredient. By Martin Zorrilla
- Effects of fish meal replacement in the culture of Florida pompano
Romi Novriadi and D. Allen Davis discuss growth and physiological conditions of fish fed diets with fish meal replaced with ESBM.